Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's all in what you VALUE!!!

I'm going to be completely honest - so honest that I'm a little nervous actually. One of the things I struggle with most as a professional photographer is pricing. It literally keeps me up at night. I use a formula to price all my products. There are times in the past that I have calculated, by using my formula, the 'retail' cost of a product I am offering and have seen the end price and then cut some of the price off the top because I know the number will scare people. Well, what happens in the end is that I end up upside down on products and services. I have a formula for a reason... I have to cover my expenses (the product itself, shipping, the time I put into creating it, etc.) and I have to have something for myself in the end. Just like you, I have a mortgage and bills to pay and two children to help provide for. So why does pricing my products and services completely stress me out even though I have a formula? Bottom line: because I'm afraid I'll lose business. Through trial and error (lots of error!) I have come to realize and accept the fact that when I cheat myself in my business, I in turn cheat my family. This of course is unacceptable and I have made a promise to myself that this will not happen anymore. Since I am currently revamping my pricing, it is serendipitous that I came across this link thanks to a fellow photographer on Facebook. Please, please read it! She gives amazing insight into a professional photographers pricing and what we actually come out with in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment